iPads: Yes or No?: Teachers vs Students

Ms. Grose with one of the 8th-grade iPads.

Hafsah A.

Last month, all of the 8th graders at Fords Middle School (FMS) received iPads for their classes. This event had a variety of different reactions from both students and teachers. Some were rather excited, while others were quite fearful. Many people claimed that the iPads would bring tons of problems, but a few others disagreed and believe that this would improve their time in class. The Falcon decided to look deeper and see what everyone was really thinking about their new devices.
Mohamed S., an 8th grader here at FMS, believes that it wasn’t the greatest idea for everyone to receive an iPad. At the same time, he also claims that it does have benefits as well. Mohamed thinks that students don’t use the iPads as much as he thought they would, but it is great to not have to carry a ton of books. It is easy transportation and a good way to remember homework. To him, the iPads seem like a major distraction to many of the students in class due to notifications going off and people playing games in general. Besides that, Mohamed highly believes that the iPads can be a big help to many of the students in the class, and he would choose it over paper any day.
The Falcon also interviewed Mrs. Majkotoski, an 8th-grade language arts teacher at FMS, who gladly gave her opinion on the new technology. She believes that students receiving iPads is a generally good idea, because iPads are a great help in the classroom, especially since we are living in a technology era. The iPads are very useful when it comes to sending notes and giving class work out to the students in the eyes of Mrs. Majkotoski. The iPads help save time and keep everything organized. Although it seems really beneficial, it can be a great annoyance as well. There have been countless times when notifications would pop up causing the students to go off topic, or a student wouldn’t have their iPad charged, thus creating a problem. She also claims that if the internet ever went down then there could be major problems during class. Mrs. Majkotoski personally thinks that even with all of these possible dilemmas, the iPads have made classes way more efficient. Just like Mohamed, Mrs. Majkotoski would also choose to keep iPads over using paper.
From these two perspectives, we can conclude that the iPads are a good resource in the eyes of both students and teachers. The iPads seem to have made a big change here at FMS. Yes, they may have their flaws, and yes, they may sometimes cause problems, but in the end, it is the best tool to have with you while in the classroom.