School Community in the Curriculum

Dominique W., Writer

As of this school year, Principal Parry has been making efforts to make sure that the violence from last year doesn’t carry over into this year. Violence is an unnecessary reaction that FMS is desperately trying to get rid of, to make this community safe. One step he took was making sure that each world history teacher taught a lesson on what a community really is. Ms.Uchrin, an 8th grade world history teacher, said in an interview, “We should continue to promote safety and a sense of community and family here at FMS.”  The safety of our students, here at FMS, is important and this can often be jeopardized by confrontation, which can lead to fist fights. When asked about how 8th grade was doing so far, she said, “So far this school year the 8th grade has had no physical altercations and any verbal disputes have been addressed and squashed for the better of both parties involved.” In other words she thinks that staff have been active in making sure that arguments don’t get physical. Staff members are also offering rewards to the 8th grade for their non-violence streak, as the leaders of the school.

A community consists of a group of people who care for each other, Ms. Uchrin taught in that lesson. Many students seemed to disagree with that definition because not everyone in the FMS community care for each other or even get along. While that might be true, that still isn’t an excuse to use violence as a “solution” or outlet for anger towards another student. If students ever feel that they are being bullied or a situation is escalating, Ms. Uchrin would be a primary teacher to talk to. “I try to keep my classroom a safe place for all students and remind them daily that any conversation we may have is confidential if it needs to be. I make sure every student feels successful in my classroom,” she explained. Overall, violence has no place in this world, and surely not in the FMS community.