Mr. Figueiredo

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mr. Figueiredo

Gamael J

Mr. Figueiredo, also known as Mr. Fig, is a health teacher who teaches 6th, 7th, and 8th grade at Fords Middle School. He teaches students about changes in the body, illnesses, how to avoid peer pressure, etc. About teaching, “It’s very rewarding and I enjoy what I do to educate students,” says Mr. Fig. Mr. Figueiredo feels that it’s important to help students understand things so that they can learn instead of students always focusing on good grades. And if you think about it, you could be the smartest person in the school and have poor grades! Mr Fig says he finds satisfaction in giving kids information so that they have something to take with them for the rest of their lives. He also states that health is a topic that he studies everyday so that he can provide the correct information.

Mr.Figueiredo also said that for him personally, “there are no bad parts about teaching.” He says that being a teacher is a profession that you’re in, for all of the right reason and if you really want to work at a place you like, you have to work for it.  Mr. Fig has been teaching for 19 years! Mr. Fig’s experience helps him to handle students’ immature behavior when discussing certain health topics. “You have to find ways to make things work,” says Mr.Fig. Mr.Fig mentioned he feels that it would be great if every student was taking school seriously.

In conclusion, Mr.Fig says that he decided to teach health because he knows that he could make a bigger difference teaching health than teaching gym, since he used to teach gym. He realized he wanted to make a little bit more of an impact in a classroom than he did in the gym. “The opportunity came to me to teach health full time, I’ve never seriously wanted to get back into the gym. I’ve enjoyed making an impact on the students in this school,” Mr Fig replied.